My name is Kaz, and I am your friendly, neighborhood geeky crafter. The lovely Naelany asked me to contribute a little something, and I hope you like it.
I have a variety of things I enjoy with my free time: reading/writing fanfic, playing in photoshop, and video editing in the fandoms of Farscape, SG-1/SGA, and now Harry Potter. I’m still in the process of working on a few HP videos, but you can find my music vids for Farscape and SG-1 on my Youtube channel. Some of my fanfic can be found on Ao3 here. I used to have a website dedicated to my fannish loves, but I let it go a year or so ago and have been in the slow process of transferring things over to Ao3.
Please bear with me, this is my first time writing up anything to do with my crocheting. This hat is pretty basic and a merging of a couple patterns I discovered over the years. Most patterns specify a weight for the yarn, in this case it was a matter of choosing the preferred colors. I used two different types from Red Heart and a size J hook.
Starting with a magic circle with 10 hdc, join the circle.
2nd row, 2 hdc in each stitch for a total of 20.
3rd row, 2 hdc in the first stitch, then 1 hdc, repeat until you can join the ends.
4th row, 2 hdc in the first stitch, then do a single hdc in next two stitches, repeat.
You do this for each row, growing how many single hdc you do between the 2 hdc in the single stitch until its 6 single hdc.
Each row after that is a single hdc for each stitch. You can choose to keep it a sold color or switch out with other colored or weight yarn. I chose to switch out between my main color, which is a solid chocolate brown, and a multi-colored brown/blue-green. I did this until I reached a length I was happy with then started doing sc to create almost a band-like appearance. The final two rows I did as simple slip stitches.
As you can see here I still have to tie up some loose ends (literally) before I do my blocking but I’m very pleased with the results.